Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Why Cubans want peanut butter and tampons

Ever need to vent? Today I need to vent. Hmmmm. I know that most often you give the bright side of things but today I am telling you all my peace.

Right before the spring quarter ended, I saw a student made film about the healthcare system in Cuba. The film was not very well made but the message that the Cuban health care system is awesome came through. Not sure if that was based on previously acquired knowledge or the film. Anyhow, after the film the student filmmaker got up and chatted about Cuba and some general Cuban topics. At one point someone asked, if Cuba is so great why are we taught to hate it or fear it? Being that the room was full of smarty pants liberal grad students we all sort of laughed to each other. "Because they are communists, sheesh. That is a no brainer." We then chatted a bit about how in the US we are spoiled and overfed, etc. The filmmaker jumped in and said "But it is difficult in Cuba. You cannot get the things you need at the grocery store. Like peanut butter or tampons." I laughed out loud. Ok, come on, "peanut butter and tampons"? Those are the examples? "What about food and shelter? Get over yourself. Americans are so spoiled. Where are our priorities?" Right? Sure....

Let's just say I made sure they have peanut butter here and I brought a lot of tampons, just in case.

So why this story? Well, I am studying Srpski and want to create flash cards so I can memorize the words. Yeah, "flash cards" is not translatable. Ok, lets try "note bez sticki ali debelo" (note without sticky back but thick). Yeah, not happening. Apparently, 3M has brought sticky notes to the former Yugoslavia but not note cards. I was like, Huh? Seems like a basic item, not crazy, not luxurious, kind of like tampons. Maja said I could make them by gluing a few pieces of paper together to make them thick enough so that I cannot see the answer on the other side. What the #%@&!?

I found a gym store, sells workout clothes, some gym equipment, etc. Went to buy two 10 lbs (or 4 kg) dumbbells. Yeah, they had ONE dumbbell. It was the display. I bought it. It is not as if the store did not sell dumbbells and I should be grateful that they surprisingly got one in the shipment. I almost felt bad for buying the display. Now how will other people know that they have one displayed dumbbell for sale?

Is it the end of the world? No. Does this mean I don't like Belgrade. Absolutely not. But as a temporary citizen of this great city, I too have a perspective. It is like when I am in line at the grocery store and some woman just jumps in front of me with a full cart of groceries. Inside I am like, "Hey lady! There is a line here!" But for one, I don't know how to say that in Serbian (yet) and it is a different way of living here. Queues are unheard of. It makes me crazy because I am socialized with queues but also because I know I am NOT THE ONLY PERSON IN THE GROCERY STORE, MA'AM! Do you see me? Do I exist? It parrots the driving. People stop in the middle of an intersection to let someone out of the car. Do they pull off the road to get out of everyone else's way? No. Then everyone is honking at them so you know that the people who are being blocked get it but when it is their turn to block they are like "What?"

Tons of people ride the bus. Public transportation is huge here. So huge, anywhere from 40 to 70 people get on ONE bus at a time. It gets very cramped to say the least. Now, anyone who has ridden the bus system in Belgrade even once knows how cramped it can get. So when 15 people get on a bus that is already 30-40 people full you make room, right? OR you can stand in the middle of the aisle holding onto your bus pole and not move an inch so that the people who just got on the bus are smashed at the front or the back of the bus to the point that the door almost cannot close even though there is room in the middle. I understand the concept of having less space than I am used to in America. I am actually just fine with being in a cramped bus but come on! What's the deal with obliviousness?

I hope this means I am really becoming more of a citizen here since I can also see the flaws. That is my definition of a real love for a city. There is so much good in Belgrade but there are pains in the ass too. I love Seattle but I have issues with it. I love America but I also am well versed in its shortcomings. Do I need all the world to be more "American"? No, that would be boring and dysfunctional. But at the same time I ask myself to look inward and become more aware of my surroundings, in the world or in the grocery store, I will critique others as well. All within the guise of understanding and an embrace of differences.

...and maybe a little peanut butter.

Click on the Donate button!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Baby.

Seems like these are the same problems as anywhere else. What avid Seattle bus rider has not had a similar experience? Really. Here, though, the bus driver will yell at people to get back, because we are all trained from a young age to observe the queue.

When we were in Europe together, we had a few problems like yours in the grocery line, I remember.

Maybe it says something about European's notion of individuality? Maybe they are on board with the whole self-reliance thing and are all still thoroughly convinced that they are unique. I think that is something that our society does its best to grind out of us Americans.

Maybe it says something about you that you notice the same problems everywhere. That seems like a good thing, considering what you are working on right now.

Maybe it says something about the world that the same problems (to varying degrees) can be found everywhere that there is an attempt at large-scale social organization.

Me, I'm not sure if I would necessarily want to come off as impolite, self-absorbed and inconsiderate... but then again maybe I have forgotten that the world does actually revolve around me.

Or maybe it's late and I shouldn't be responding and messing up your blog... Nah!

Heather said...

Wow! That is a mouthful. :)

Yes, this is the same everywhere and the concept of the queue is more accepted in the UK and the US. Sometimes the frustration is from the lack of ability to say anything due to language constraints. Also, from my Serb friends' point of view, they are not exactly directly aggressive but rather passive aggressive so there is less direct feedback for their actions.

Mostly, I am laughing at myself for my requirement of the comfort items. It is nice to have certain things to make yourself comfortable, ya know? I am definitely accustomed to the comforts of my home and the availability of just about anything.

Thanks for the dialogue!

Love you baby!